Tendons are the fibrous cords that attach muscles to bones. Inflammation of these tendons can cause Tendinitis. The most common areas affected are the shoulders, elbows, knees, and heels and you will probably experience pain and tenderness outside your joints.
Medical clinics in Nashville, TN, like Clinica Hispana La Paz, can treat Tendinitis, help you reduce your inflammation and pain.
Risk Factors of Tendinitis
While a sudden injury could cause Tendinitis, the most common reason for this health problem are repetitive activities that put too much pressure on the tendons. Patients with Tendinitis might experience a dull ache, tenderness and mild swelling at the affected site.
The risk of Tendinitis increases with:
- Age – As you grow older, your tendons become less flexible, increasing the risk of injury.
- Occupation – If your work involves performing repetitive movements or forceful exertion you will likely injure your tendons more often.
- Sports – Athletes are usually at a greater risk for Tendinitis.
Prevention of Tendinitis
Doctors at healthcare clinics in Nashville recommend the following tips to prevent the risk of Tendinitis.
- Relax – You should avoid activities that stress your tendons for a long time. If you notice pain while performing specific exercises or activities, it is better to pause and rest.
- Improve your techniques – Consult professionals who understand the right ways to perform various exercises to prevent injuring your tendons.
- Combine your technique – If a specific exercise routine is causing you persistent pain, you can combine it with other exercises to reduce stress on your tendons. A professional health trainer can help.
- Stretching – Pre and Post-exercise you should stretch to improve range of motion and help reduce trauma on stiff tendons.
- Workplace ergonomics – When at work, adjust your work setup, such as your chair, keyboard, mouse and desktop, according to your height and arm length.
- Strengthen muscles – Improving muscle strength can help your body support your tendons thereby reducing the likelihood of tendon injury.
If you do injure your tendons, doctors at a family healthcare clinic in Nashville like Clinica Hispana La Paz, can help treat your Tendinitis.
Your doctor might recommend aspirin, ibuprofen or some other over-the-counter pain reducer to help relieve your pain and discomfort caused by Tendinitis. Topical anti-inflammatory medications could also relieve your pain.
Your doctor may also recommend corticosteroids around the affected tendons to relieve your symptoms. They can be given alone or combined with other medications through trigger point injections to reduce inflammation and pain; however, if your condition lasts more than three months, corticosteroids and/or trigger point injections could weaken your tendons and increase the risk of a ruptured tendon.
Clinica Hispana La Paz offers a wide range of health care services in Nashville. If you suffer from Tendonitis or need any other healthcare assistance, talk with your medical professional at Clinica Hispana La Paz today.