Weight loss diets are not meant for children; neither is allowing them to live a sedentary lifestyle eating what they want and sitting on the couch all day playing video games.
What’s the solution?
Maintaining a healthy weight through fun activities like sports, biking, running, swimming and more.
Why You Should Prevent Your Kid from Being Obese
- Unfortunately some non-obese children bully and insult overweight children. As a result your child could start to feel isolated and depressed. These feelings, left un-checked, can lead to low self-esteem and poor grades in school which can further develop into problems as they get older.
- Obese kids are also more likely to suffer from Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetic kids are more likely to suffer from kidney failure and other cardiovascular disorders.
- Asthma, joint issues, and sleep apnea are also observed among obese kids which can cause a great deal of health problems now and in the future.
- Stopping the obesity now, while they are young, will help them grow into healthy, well-adjusted adults.
The Parents’ Role in Helping Kids Maintain a Healthy Weight
Children rely on the parent to be…a Parent. It is your responsibility to your child to help him or her grow up to be the best they can be both in mind and body. You need to help your child maintain a healthy weight, keep up physical activities (not sitting on the couch all day), and ensure they eat the proper foods, not junk food.
Never put your child on a weight loss diet without professional medical advice from their pediatrician.
Healthy Eating Habits
Healthy eating = healthy life…for both you and your child. Children like to copy their parents in almost every way. Set a good example for them so they too can have a long and healthy life.
- If they don’t like your healthy meal, add something to make it tastier.
- Limit or remove junk food
- Have them (and you) drink lots of water.
Regular Physical Activity is Important
As previously discussed, regular physical activity is very important for your little ones to maintain a normal weight, but did you also know physical activity:
- Strengthens bones
- Normalizes blood pressure
- Boosts self-esteem
- Reduces anxiety and stress
Want to know more? Talk with our pediatrician and visit https://clinicahispanalapaz.net/en
A quick exam can help to make sure your child is on their way to becoming a healthy adult.